All The Tips And Tricks You Need For All Three Sections Of CAT
If you are aspiring to pursue an MBA from a top business school, you may have started preparing for CAT five to six months in advance. You may have already solved multiple mock tests, analysed them and changed your study strategy just as many times. However, with less than a month to go before the big test, it’s time to prepare a strategy that will help you solve all three sections of the tests efficiently.
This article will give you all the tips and tricks you need to solve each section of this computer-based test.
Tips and Tricks for Quantitative Ability
The Quantitative Ability (QA) is one of the most challenging sections to solve on this test. Based on previous years paper trends, be prepared to have questions ranging from moderate to difficult. This section will consist of 34 questions. Most of these questions will be focused on arithmetic progression and modern mathematics. Here are a few pointers to remember when preparing for Quantitative Ability.
Learning to use various mathematical tricks will help you increase your speed and crack the QA section of CAT.
- Make a list of all important formulas and revise them every day without fail.
- Make a note of all your weak areas along with the specific areas that you make mistakes in. Say you are weak in Permutation and Combination, pinpoint the errors that you are making and work on improving those areas. Make another list detailing these errors and revise those every day as well.
- Research different tips and tricks that can help you solve numerous mathematical problems and implement them during your practice sessions.
- Never mug up formulas, alternatively understand the concept behind every problem and formula. This will help you memorise the formulas better.
Tips and Tricks for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
The Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) is a section where you can score really well if you spend enough time preparing for it. This section will also include 34 questions that you’ll need to answer. Since VARC is such a vast area, it’s important that you divide this subject into various sections since each topic will require a different set of tips and tricks. Here are a few tips you can utilize to make solving the VARC section easier and possibly even faster:
- For the Reading Comprehension question spend five to seven minutes reading and analysing the questions. Once you are done, move on to reading the passage and spend 40-45 minutes on solving these types of questions.
- For the Verbal Ability questions such as Fill in The Blanks and Jumbled Sentences spend at least 12-15 minutes.
- Ensure you are reading a lot of books, magazines, and newspapers.
- If you find any difficult word, make sure you are looking up the meaning in a dictionary.
- To improve your grammar and vocabulary read the editorial section of newspapers.
- Solve puzzles and Non-MCQ type questions.
Tips and Tricks for Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
The CAT Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI & LR) section is perhaps the closest representation of the problems you may face as a manager. This section will test your decision-making skills. Some tips and tricks to use for this section of the test are:
- Spend time-solving puzzles to improve your logical reasoning abilities.
- Spend time working on your weak topics, and find your own tricks to solve certain types of problems.
- Familiarize yourself with the different kinds of charts.
- Rather than solving all questions as they come, try solving a set of difficult questions first, then solve some easy ones.
It goes without saying that no amounts of tips and tricks can help you if you don’t take the time to diligently practice them. Therefore, ensure that you not only remember the above-mentioned tips and tricks but also practice it every single day. It will help you crack CAT and make you eligible to apply to eminent business schools like Sri Balaji Society. Best of luck!